You can trust me on that one cause long lists of ingredients (that I don’t even know what they are) make me run! On top of that, grocery shopping on Koh Tao is just no fun. Luckily, I stumbled on My New Roots’ Raw Cashew Dreamcake and tweaked the ingredients small-tropical-island-style. Result? AMAZING! I left the raspberries out for this very first attempt which, I guess, makes it a New York Cheesecake! I serves 4-6. But enough talking, you need to make this RIGHT NOW!
- 1/2 cup raw almonds (pecan or walnuts will also work)
– almonds are the cheapest option in my case
- 1/2 cup soft Medjool dates
– I used normal dates which worked great
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked for at least 5 hours, overnight is best
- juice of 2 lemons
- the seeds of 1 whole vanilla bean (or 1 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract)
– some sort of vanilla flavour liquid is the only thing available to me
- 1/3 cup raw coconut oil, melted
– we definitely got plenty of that here!
- 1/3 cup raw honey (solid or liquid.)(Vegans use agave nectar.)
– Agave nectar or Maple syrup are extremely expensive and need to be ordered online. Thanks to Pura Organic, I discovered Coconut Flower Syrup which is super tasty and possibly one of the healthiest sweeteners. Try it if you get your hands on it!
A few comments regarding the directions:
- I used a square Tupperware and prepped it with a little coconut oil which works fine if esthetics are not your main concern.
- My blender is far from a Vitamix but has done an amazing job with the filling. It turned out perfectly smooth and only took a few minutes. I soaked the cashews over night so that may have helped a lot.
- As mentioned, I left out the raspberries for the filling. I did use some, though, to decorate together with a bit of cacao powder.
- The cake doesn’t cope well with 30+°C so after the 30 minutes out of the freezer, get on the case!
- There will be no leftovers.